Thursday, June 29, 2006

Endtrodouching: Jay and Dustin vs. DJ Shadow

Interview with DJ Shadow:
Q: What's the Bay Area reaction been to your new 'Hyphy' tracks?
A: I heard "3 Freaks" played on KMEO which is the main urban outlet radio-wise and for the first time in my life it was in context, played alongside all these hyphy records. So we did a video and that got played next to 50 Cent videos! This gave me confidence to continue down that road. It's not as if I grew up getting rock radio love or any type of radio love so for that to happen it was like "oh I'm gonna come with something better next time!"

Jay: I've only heard the single but I already hate the album.

Dustin: Let's battle over an album we haven't heard yet. Only I can't do the pro side because I already hate it as well.

Jay: We just could make fun of the tracklisting and guest names:
1. Outsider Intro
2. This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way)

3. 3 Freaks-Feat. Keak Da Sneak & Turf Talk
4. Droop-E Drop
5. Turf Dancing-Feat. The Federation & Animaniaks
6. Keep Em Close-Feat. Nump
7. Seein Thangs-Feat. David Banner
8. Broken Levee Blues
9. Artifact [Instrumental]
10. Backstage Girl-Feat. Phonte Coleman
11. Triplicate / Something Happened That Day
12. The Tiger-Feat. Sergio Pizzorno & Christopher Karloff
13. Erase You-Feat. Chris James
14. What Have I Done-Feat. Christina Carter
15. You Made It-Feat. Chris James
16. Enuff-Feat. Q-Tip & Lateef The Truth Speaker
17. Dats My Part-Feat. E-40
Even the Animaniaks half two spel there naim weird.

Dustin: I didn't realize it was a spelling mistake - I just assumed the album is another one of those Cartoon Network side projects since half the song titles were written by five-year-olds.
But those sure am some silly names. Everyone must have been so pissed at Shadow for ruining the album by throwing on that lame-ass "Chris James."
"You think I named myself Sergio Pizzorno so I could be upstaged by a guy whose moniker is two of the most popular names in the English language?"

Jay: Even "Droopy" is spelled wrong! They couldn't even leave that alone and had to make it "Droop-E." Unless that's someone's name which is equally retarded.
And "Dats My Part"? Who the fuck came up with that? I guarantee they were all in the studio one day, smoking, and one of the other misspelled miscreants started telling everyone about "a hot verse I wrote" but he was so blazed, he read someone else's verse. Bam! A song title! It's like the Beatles discovering acid except completely forgettable in every respect.

Dustin: Yeah, they didn't have enough room for track 18 — "Levels Up on Mic Three, Yo".
"Turf-Dancing" is either about celebrating after you win the Super Bowl or embarrassing rival thugs by forcing them to dance at gunpoint.

Jay: So this is Turf Talk:











The man who made one of the most brilliant, brooding, thoughtful albums of all time is now working with rappers who feel the best image representation of themselves is squint and eat their necklace.
I'm still try to figure out how "Nump" got his name.

Dustin: Nump is actually a girl rapper who is both a nun and a pimp. Technically she's a madam but I don't think the hyphy scene is too big on details. And, don't diss Turf Talk man, that was a hot colabilation.
By the way, is it not ironic that Q-Tip makes his 5 millionth guest appearance on a track named "Enuff"?

Jay: Track 19 — "Rent Check" — featuring Q-Tip, Craig Mack and Jeru the Damaja.

Dustin: I'd just like to end this by saying that DJ Shadow was bragging about having his video shown next to 50 Cent's video. That's like a diamond bragging that it was dropped on a turd.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you 2 are dum. grow up. wake up.

Russ Wishtart said...

Winner: tie. That was a funny battle. Something different and very clever. Nice work.

dustin said...

I like the first comment by that anonymous loser: "you 2 are dum."
Yeah, that's fucking brilliant. Thanks for the lesson, asshole.

R.S. said...

Brilliant... maybe the site should just be tag-team bashing of albums that haven't been released.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Heard this album. Couldn't believe my ears. What has Shadow gone and done??? WTF?

Even with the crunk/hyphy shit removed from my playlist this album is at best average.

I'd recommend people save their hard earned money on this one. If you really like crunk, get a david banner or lil jon album. That way you avoid disappointment between tracks.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Heard this album. Couldn't believe my ears. What has Shadow gone and done??? WTF?

Even with the crunk/hyphy shit removed from my playlist this album is at best average.

I'd recommend people save their hard earned money on this one. If you really like crunk, get a david banner or lil jon album. That way you avoid disappointment between tracks.

Anonymous said...

When I first heard 3 Freaks on Shadow's website a few months back, I almost shit myself I was that shocked. Such a talented artist doing this to his career?

I hate to say it, but I think Shadow is in it for the money now, rather than us motherfuckers who spent our money on his previous work.

Sure artists can experiment, but this is beyond experimentation. This is "Yo let's get CRUUUUUNK.

Poor Effort Shadow, Poor Effort.

Anonymous said...

I kept thinking that this album was a joke, and that when it ended there would be one more track giving me instructions on how to download the "real" album off of his website.