Monday, June 05, 2006

At War On The Mystics: Paula vs. Jay on The Flaming Lips live

Jay: I could take the con side in a battle over the new Flaming Lips album and win solely on "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song." Bleeecchhh.

Paula: Yeah, that's about as annoying as it gets.

Jay: That song reminds me of a bad parody song that Ween would write. Should've been a B-side instead of the friggin single.

Paula: It could just as easily be the latest They Might Be Giants jingle for a Nickelodeon show. But I'd rather take the con side on their live show. The Webster Hall gig they played on April Fool's could have been awesome (not to mention longer) if Wayne had stopped yapping about what a great time we were supposed to be having banding against Bush and playing with giant balloons. It was, how you say... lame.

Jay: I must respectfully disagree on the Webster show. The Bush-baiting was annoying and yes, it's the same show they've done for a while, but the aliens, santa clauses, children's animal sounds and "War Pigs" encore all entertained me. How many boring indie rock acts that do nothing on stage can I sit through consecutively?

Paula: I don't know. Maybe I've just seen them too many times, but their live show feels so gimmicky and rehearsed ("War Pigs" encore aside) at this point that I fail to see how it's any different from the latest generic indie rock act's (insert really long, non-sensical name here) live set. And I have to listen to Wayne Coyne's politics and "man, you guys are the best fans in the world (group hug)" hippie sentiments. If you shut your eyes it's like you're at a Phish concert.

Jay: I think it's different in that most indie rock acts run through their songs and that, while respectable and enjoyable, don't vary too much from the studio versions. With Lips shows, though they haven't changed much, they're still better than your average concert in that they actually put on a "show" versus a "concert." A big difference to me.
As for the hippie sentiments, again, I'd rather have a band I like, a band I invest time, money and energy into, a band that has given me good memories and many hours of listening pleasure, tell me they give a shit than some spoiled jackass like Craig Nicholls who STILL owes me $20 after drunkenly stumbling on stage, sucking with his piece of shit, third rate Nirvana band, then stumbling off. Unless I'm watching Pete Doherty die on stage (and please, God, let me be there when that happens), I'll go for the hippie love over blasé nonchalance any time. Hell, even Morrissey was appreciative when I saw him.

Paula: But how many times can you see the same show before it becomes too standard and predictable? For the most part, I like the Flaming Lips and their weirdness and I hope they prove me wrong when they tour bigger venues later this year in support of Mystics. The fact that Coyne keeps having to tell the audience what a mothertruckin' great time they're supposed to be having is extremely telling of how tired their bit has become. Ever been to a party where the host kept asking you how much fun you were having every five minutes? How fast did that get old?
Think of a band like Broken Social Scene. Having 200 members on stage at the same time could get old really fast, but every time I've seen them it's been different and just as fun. They're on stage, they're having a great time and they're making fantastic music without having to check in on the audience to make sure they "get it." The Lips used to be able to do that and that's part of the reason I'll always be a fan and, like you, respect them and cherish the many memories they've given me. I know; I'm such a sap. But seriously, Coyne should stop bemoaning Bushie (how many Republicans were in the audience anyway?) long enough to remember how to genuinely throw the party he keeps talking about.
And, as a PSA of sorts, if you ever attend Pete Dougherty's final train wreck, in addition to taking pictures please promise me you'll dress like the boy in the plastic bubble. That guy just oozes crotch critters.

5 comments:

dustin said...

I like how I was killing myself for not being able to get tickets while for Paula, seeing the show was like being forced to mow the lawn. "UGH. How many times can I see a guy surf a crowd in a giant bubble while aliens dance with Santa and Wonder Woman on the stage?"

Russ Wishtart said...

What a polite conversation. That was very pleasant to read.

Winner: nobody. There has to be an actual battle for someone to win.

The only thing that began to resemble a battle was Dustin's comment.

dustin said...

I challenge Russ to battle over whether that was a battle or not.

Anonymous said...

Dustin- UGH, I can't believe you're still going on about not seeing the Lips, Mr. I'm -seeing- Radiohead- twice-at-much-better venues-than-MSG!

Russ- Remind me...when's the last time you battled?

Russ Wishtart said...

Do you really need to be reminded Paula?

It was a less than a month ago...you know, The Lightning Bolt battle...the battle with more comments than any other battle...the most vicious battle that this blog has ever seen...simply put, the best battle on this blog.

Yeah. You remember.